Sunday, September 21, 2008

Fun day


So Jim and I met Treasa today at the Valley Green Inn. We rode from the Inn to the Art museum to Manyunk and had a bite to eat at couch tomato. They have really good pizza and salads, if you have not been there. Back on the bike to Valley Green. It was my longest ride yet, about 17-18 miles. My leg felt OK, but I still have such a strength deficit in my calf muscle, that I use my right so much more. Well, that knee is now KILLING me. Feels like a knife is stabbing me under my patella (knee cap). All those high school and college sports have left me with a body that is a bit used up:) Looking back on my younger sports days, I really would not change a thing. Sports gives you such a great network of friends and confidence. By the time I left college I had accumulated 3 surgical scars. Two on my left knee and one on my left ankle. Scars...you gotta love em......really tell a lot of stories. I used to tell younger kids, and some gulible adults, that I had been bitten by a shark on my left knee. Through the years I had the whole story down pat. How big the shark was , how I got away, ect. It was always a lot of fun. Now I have a new ,rather large scar, to add to the story.
Riding this weekend I realized that mountain biking may be farther off than I expected. I can in no way unclip my left foot from a clipless pedal. I can't fall because my tibia is still broken. I have lost a WHOLE lot of strength in my left lower extremity. So for the mean time I will continue to ride my cross bike with anyone willing to come on a "Barney" ride with me. Any takers?

No comments: